Sunday, July 7, 2013

Quick Eats: Lunch at Numchok Wilai, Edmonton AB

I had a few minutes to spare driving from the Royal Alex to the University, so I decided to stop by Numchok Wilai for their lunch special, served from Monday to Friday, 11:30 to 2:00 pm. I was pleasantly impressed by the speed of service - I placed my order before I left the Alex, and by the time I reached the restaurant on 124 Street it was ready for pickup. The real selling point of Numchok Wilai's lunch special is the value - $11.95 for an entree (most of which come with rice), lemongrass soup, and two spring rolls. The entree choices include a variety of curries and stir-fries, as well as the ever popular Pad Thai, which of course I had to try. The spring rolls were fairly average, but I loved the sauce they were served with, a unique sugary concoction with just a hint of fish sauce. The lemongrass soup had good flavor - the only disappointment was that the container was only half full! The Pad Thai (you have your choice of ketchup or tamarind sauce) was served with a few plump shrimp and chicken, and I really enjoyed the tamarind sauce. The noodles were a bit soft and had clumped together by the time I reached home, but overall it was a solid dish. Thai food at some of my favorites can be quite pricy (around $18 for a Pad Thai alone at Boualouang), so I would highly recommend Numchok Wilai's lunch special for anyone with a craving for Thai food at a good price.



Numchok Wilai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment