Saturday, September 14, 2013

Quick Eats: Menyatai Ramen - Calgary AB

Just a quick post today. Because my work shift just happened to give me a three day weekend, I decided to drive down to Calgary. Every time I come back I love Calgary more and more, but I also feel increasingly out of touch. I took the C-train for the first time in years today, and was amazed - not for the reason you think, but because the way I remember it in high school, there was no air conditioning and no electronic sign telling you which stop was coming up next or when the next train was coming. Actually, the last time I took the C-train regularly was before the Crowfoot station was even built - wow, reminiscing makes me feel old.

Not sure how I got off on that tangent, because today's meal really had nothing to do with the C-train at all. I had a craving for ramen and was about to head out to my go-to place, Muku, when I remembered another new(ish) ramen restaurant - Menyatai Japanese Ramen, also in Kensington. It's located off Kensington Road, and is a quaint little space decorated with bright colors and creative chandeliers. Very cheerful. I really liked the atmosphere, so it's unfortunate I didn't like the food a bit more. I wasn't too hungry so I just ordered takoyaki for myself which was entirely average, nothing special. My brother ordered the shoyu (soy) ramen with extra pork which was even more disappointing. All I could taste in the soup was one flavor - salty. Well, soy and salty. It had none of the depth I love about ramen broth. The noodles themselves were a bit on the mushy side as well. The toppings were probably the only thing I preferred over Muku - the BBQ pork was tasty and fatty, and I liked the addition of a soft boiled egg. However, as the bowls here are $2-$3 more than at Muku, with less choice and significantly less tasty, I don't think I will be returning here to sample any more menu items.

Menyatai Japanese Ramen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment